Indian GSM Mobile Operators premium had touched 110% in Mar-09, highlighting sub quality differential. This probably made running a dual-technology network compulsion for Reliance Communications / Tata DoCoMO. ARPU differential has steadily narrowed since (GSM was 7% higher v/s CDMA in Dec-13). This was largely due to CDMA Subscriber clean-up and contribution by higher mobile data % (33% of rev; 12% for GSM) & higher competition in GSM have been the key. In this backdrop, we believe Reliance Communications’ / Tata DoCoMo’s CDMA networks are unlikely to become redundant, contrary to broader view. Continue reading CDMA ARPU Converged with GSM – TRAI Data
- Reliance Communications at the end of DEC 2012 had 27.6 Mn Data Subscribers which include 2G, 3G and CDMA based EVDO Dongle Customers as well.
- RCom reported 6.1 Mn 3G Broadband Subscribers at the end of Dec 2012. Despite higher Data Usage, Revenue witnessed pressure but the Management is confident of Data Off-take and asked us to look at the brighter side.
- Total Data Usage Per Customer is 280 MB in the DEC-2012 Qrtr.
- Data Services contributed 20.9% of overall wireless revenues. [Read total Non-Voice, that is how the company discloses to shield the revenues that it gets from CDMA EVDO Services to avoid potential legal battles]
- Data will be 40% of Total Wireless Revenues in Continue reading Reliance Communications has 27 Mn Data Subscribers + ARPU up 17% QoQ + Infratel in Talks with RIL Infotel +
In the August of 2008, I then made the case, for Reliance Communications it made more sense to switch Voice / 2G Customers to GSM Network when it acquired 1800MHz Spectrum. However, the Anil Ambani managed company after 4 years has realized this and in its new strategy, CEO of Wireless Business, Mr Gurdeep Singh Revealed to GS Analysts that Continue reading Reliance Communications to Switch CDMA Voice Customers to GSM Network – CDMA Only for Data