The TRAI has issued another consultation paper on Net Neutrality which is an extension of past restrictive regulatory actions (for telcos) such as prohibition of discriminatory tariffs for data services and recommendations on provisioning of free data.
The consultation discusses several critical issues such as the core principles of net neutrality (NN), traffic management practices (TMP), transparency and Continue reading Net Neutrality 2.0 Consultation Comprehensive – Your Opinion Matters
4G new entrants like Reliance Jio may look at leveraging intranet based data offerings in an attempt to take market share. At present telcos monetize data connectivity and charge for data usage. 4G entrants may disrupt the traditional data business model, leveraging intranet-based data offerings.
Despite Expert Recommendations to Plug the Net Neutrality Loophole, it appears TRAI has specifically left the Gap with power on deciding in its own Continue reading 4G-LTE New Entrants & Free Intranet Content Offering
The Department of Telecom’s (DOT) Net Neutrality panel recommendations has taken a balanced view, in our opinion. Key recommendations of the panel are as under,
- Tariff plans offered by telcos / internet service providers must conform to net neutrality
- OTTs (Over the top) providing SMS/international VOIP services do not need to get a license but license is needed for domestic VOIP services
- Legitimate traffic management is allowed but should not prejudice against app / website specific content
- Tariff plans including Zero rating plans need to be looked into by the regulator on a case to case basis
- The panel is not in favor of “Internet.org” as it believes that content and application providers should not be permitted to act as gatekeepers.
Continue reading Net Neutrality India – DoT Recommendations Balanced
Over the last few weeks, the issue of Net Neutrality has come into focus in India with 1> TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) releasing a consultation paper on regulatory framework for OTT services which has a separate chapter on the issue of Net Neutrality. Airtel announcing the launch of Airtel Zero which allows toll free access to apps which sign up for marketing on this platform has seen severe backlash from Netizens. We note that regulators around the world seem to have taken many different approaches on the issue and it remains to be seen what regulation India finally adopts. Continue reading Net Neutrality – India vs Rest of the World